LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fill The Bus

Early on I've made it a point to teach my kids that it's important to help those in need when we can. While we're not millionaires by any means, we have a pretty good lifestyle. We have a roof over our head, food on the table, vehicles to drive, clothes to wear, and my kids have a surplus of toys to play with. While they are always wanting new toys (what kid doesn't), I make it a point to let them know that they have it pretty good. Of course we'd all like to make more money and have some of those luxury items, but at the end of the day, especially in this economy I'm happy that my husband has a job and can provide for us. I remind my kids that there are kids/adults/families that aren't so lucky and really can't afford some of the basic things in life. I want them to know what it means to help out those in need, as well as how it feels when donating items to those in need. I try to give donations to various causes when we can. While I'd like to do it all the time, it's just not possible. I still have a family to take care of, but we try to do what we can when possible. Especially when it comes to giving back in the MSU community. Not because it's MSU, but because it's the community we live in.

I ran across a video of Kid Rock today (I posted it on my Facebook) in which the timing couldn't have been more fitting as the kids and I "Filled The Bus" (more on that in a minute) yesterday. You might not be familiar with all that Kid Rock has been working on to help revive Detroit. There's lots of various things he's been working on and one is his new beer Badass. It's made at the Michigan Brewery. He chose to have it brewed there to help bring jobs to the state. In the video he talks about why he's so adamant about helping out Detroit (It's where he's from if you didn't know). He says, "We all need to work together as "neighbors" and address the real problems. Help your "neighbors" out first before you can help anybody else out . There's people hurting all over the world, but there's a lot of my neighbors hurting. It's important to start there." Of course I'd love to help out in bigger ways like donate millions to help find a cure for cancer, but I just don't have that kind of money. However if I can start by helping out on a smaller scale, like in my own community... well then I can feel good about myself. Knowing that I've helped in some way even if it's just a little, feels better than not helping at all.

So with all that said, I heard about "Fill The Bus" on Monday and told the kids about it. "Fill The Bus" is an annual service project that asks for the help of the MSU community to donate school supplies that will be delivered to Lansing area organizations. I asked the kids what we could do to help, and Evan said, "buy some school supplies to give to kids that can't afford them." Then he said, "Let's go to Meijer mom!" At only six years old, he already has such a joy when we do these kinds of things. As a mom, it makes me feel good. I love his enthusiasm to help others in need.

We went to Meijer Tuesday night so the kids could pick out the school supplies. Here they are getting the goods! They each got to pick out the same thing.
All set to check out!
This is what we ended up with to donate!

After we were done shopping, we took the kids to MSU for the Spartan Spectacular fireworks they have to kick off the new school year. I thought they would enjoy it, and they deserved it for helping out. They had fun watching the fireworks and listening to the Spartan Marching Band.

The next day on Wednesday, we headed to the MSU Union to drop off the "Fill The Bus" items. Both kids told me that, "now some kids will be able to have some school supplies when they start school next week." Then they were asking when we could drop off the food for the food drive. They were talking about the food drive we always donate to in November. Em remembered where they have the buckets for the food drive. It puts a smile on my face that they're already excited to help out again! Here they are dropping off their donated items!

You can learn more about "Fill The Bus" by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're such a good mama! I have to start connecting Sylvia to the things we do to help others.

    ReplyDelete