LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pink!

I love the color pink! I always have, and I'm pretty sure I always will. I'm a girly girl so it's pretty much a given that I like pink! I like anything pink, from pink shirts, pink shoes, pink purses, and pink nail polish, to pink cupcakes, pink flowers, pink balloons, you get the idea! I always longed to have a little girl so I could do everything in pink. A pink bedroom, pink clothes, pink hair accessories, etc. So when I was pregnant with Emmaline and found out I was having a girl, I was thrilled. After having a boy first and everything was blue, I was definitely ready for some pink! To this day I still love dressing my little girl in pink. I think she looks great in pink, especially a bright pink! Emmaline loves the color pink too so she definitely gets that from me! I love all shades of pink and all things pink (well unless it's something super gaudy), except one thing.... pink eye!

When "pink" showed up at our nest on Sunday, it was one time I didn't want anything to do with the color pink! The pink eye came out of nowhere. Greg and Evan went to take stuff to the MSU recycling place and then made a run to Sam's and by the time they got back I noticed Evan's eye was watering. When I looked closer it was a little reddish/pinkish and there was some green goop in the corner of it. I wiped his eye with a tissue and didn't think too much of it. As the day went on, I began to notice that there was a little more going on than a watery eye. By Sunday night, I was pretty much convinced that he had pink eye. I was thinking, I couldn't send him to school if that's what it was, but I didn't want him to miss school after there was just two snow days last week! By bedtime Greg and I decided that we'd wait until morning to decide after seeing how his eye was when he woke up.

Monday morning I went in to wake Evan up, and I expected his eye to be matted shut and all crusty. To my surprise it wasn't as crusty as I thought it would be, but it was a little and had a bunch of goop in it. His whole right eye was pink on the eyelid and his eye was pink. His face was a little puffy on the right side too. I love my kid dearly, but he really did look awful. I knew I couldn't send him to school because I'd be getting a call 15 minutes later to come get him the way he looked. So I played it safe and kept him home. It was Evan's first sick day from school which made me a little sad because I remember as a kid not wanting to miss school so I'd get perfect attendance. I don't even know if they do those awards anymore, but I just had that flashback for a minute. I ended up calling the doctor and left a message for the nurse. After she called me back she decided that he didn't need to come in and would call in an eye drop prescription for him. It was probably pink eye and he'd have to do the drops for 72 hours. If it got worse to call back, if not he'd be good to go.

By the time I went Monday to pick up his prescription around 11:30am his eye already looked 10 times better. I had just spent $20 on eye drops and thinking, "do we really need these?" I got them though because with my luck I knew if I didn't his eye would get worse. The nurse also informed me that Evan had to be on the drops for a full 24 hours before he could return to school. By then he wouldn't be contagious anymore. That meant no school on Tuesday either! Evan was none to happy about this. He missed school and really wanted to go yesterday. I was tempted to send him since his eye was much improved, but new if I did and someone else got it I'd feel terrible. So Evan had two sick days from school this week which means another three day school week. We did the last of the drops tonight, and his eye looks back to normal. I'm so proud of my little guy. He handled it great and we all know how contagious pink eye can be. I stressed over and over to him that he couldn't rub his eye and especially couldn't rub the pink eye and then the other. He also had to wash his hands A LOT! He did everything right and handled his first eye drops wonderfully. Now here's hoping that only good things pink are at the Shearwater Nest from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment