LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Road Trip Day Four

Good morning readers! You're hearing from me a little earlier than normal today. That's because today is jam making day so I'll be busy all night plugging away container after container getting the jam ready for the next year. Remember last year all the strawberries I picked and all the containers of jam I showed you? Well, it's that time of year again already so I thought I'd better get blogging this morning since I won't be on the computer tonight.

Here we are on day four of our road trip story which mean we're just that much closer to our destination of Tucson, AZ. We knew we only had about a six and a half hour drive so we didn't have to get up and leave all that early. We had our breakfast at the hotel and then decided we'd check out a downtown shopping area before we hit the road (all the shops were closed the night before so we couldn't go to them). Before we left the hotel, I had to take a picture of the kids in front of this window with the water falling down it. They thought it was really neat and they wanted a picture. So here's my two Albuquerque turkeys ready for our last day on the road!

We left our hotel and went shopping for about an hour. Then we got on the road about 11am. The drive wasn't bad at all. We got to see the Rio Grande through different parts of New Mexico. It's really a surprise when all you see is mountains and dessert and then all the sudden there's a spot with a large amount of water. It was very pretty scenery though. The kids were excited to get to Tucson and still remained pretty good in the car. We decided to just eat lunch in the car again that day to save some time. I really wasn't fond of the hour we would waste in fast food places just to eat lunch. Being our last day on the road anyway, we were just eager to get to our destination and the sooner the better. My uncle had told us once we were into Arizona there would be a rest area where there was some very pretty scenery and lookouts called Texas Canyon. Well we crossed into Arizona and drove and drove and did not see this rest area spot. After awhile I figured we must of missed it. Finally though about an hour away from Tucson we found the rest area. (It was a little further into Arizona than my uncle remembered.) We didn't really want to stop again at that point, but we did just to take a few pictures. Here's a couple shots of Texas Canyon.


The rock formations were really cool.

All the times I've been to Tucson over my many years, we've always come from Phoenix so that means we'd come in from the north. This time though driving from New Mexico, we came in from the south so it was nice to see a little bit different route into Tucson. We arrived at our final destination for a week in Tucson, AZ at about 5:15pm. It felt really really good to get there! Four days on the road were long, but actually went a lot better than I expected with two kids in the car.

It was exciting to get to my Uncle Dick & Aunt Debbie's house and see the family again. The kids had never really met their cousins. Evan & I were out in Arizona when he was three months old, but he obviously doesn't remember that (even though he tells me he does). Then two years ago when my aunt and uncle came to Michigan Em was only 10 months old so she really doesn't remember meeting them. Evan did though so he was excited to see Uncle Dick & Aunt Debbie. My cousin Kevin is the only cousin still living at home. He just graduated high school though so will be moving out soon. The kids took to Kevin right away and loved playing with him!

Shortly after we were there, my uncle announced "the bar is open" which is pretty common at the Stamp house in the evening! We had a drink, visited, and then enjoyed a nice spaghetti dinner. My cousin Matt who was the one getting married the following week came over with his fiancee KaiAnn that night to see us and visit. It was so nice to see them. The kids hadn't met him before and both the kids and Greg hadn't ever met KaiAnn before. Ev and Em loved both Matt and KaiAnn and took to them quickly too. We settled in for the night at my aunt and uncles because the condo we were staying at for the week we couldn't get until Saturday. So folks, that's our trip getting out to Arizona. Next up will be details on our stay in Tucson, the wedding, and then our trip back. Lots still to tell so as I've said before, stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment