LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Monday, November 8, 2010

Bike Race Weekend

Wow what a cold weekend we had! We headed to Traverse City on Friday for the Iceman Cometh yearly bike race. This is the 28 mile race from Kalkaska to Timber Ridge campground in Traverse City. It was cold when we left and there was a few very light flurries as we were pulling out of the driveway, but once we got up to Grayling it was VERY COLD and lots of snow flurries. Then we got to Kalkaska and it was VERY COLD and LOTS MORE snow flurries! As we neared Traverse City it was so cold, windy, snow flurries, and all I was thinking was I really wanted to be back home in my warm house because I knew Saturday was going to be a cold Iceman. Greg's been riding the Iceman for seven years. I have been going for 6 years and although it's the Iceman and it should be cold and icy, I've been pretty lucky to have decent weather as a spectator. The first couple years I went it was a little chilly and the next couple years we very nice, especially last year when it was in the 60's! This year however not so much to my liking. It was freezing cold Saturday morning at a balmy 30 degrees! I really am not a fan of the cold weather. Why I live in Michigan is beyond me sometimes, but seriously the cold is not for me especially when I have to stand outside in it all day long. We went to the race check in to get race packets and walked around the expo a little and then we headed to our favorite restaurant in Traverse City for dinner, the Red Mesa Grill before we checked into our hotel.

Race day didn't start out too good when I woke up and hadn't slept good all night. The kids both have colds and were coughing all night and the hotel bed wasn't very comfortable. Then Greg's jersey zipper broke in the car on the way to the bike race. Of course he didn't have a back up. He never does, and he's never had a problem before. However for future races, there will be an extra jersey packed. Live and learn I guess. So with that said Greg was not happy he had to race in a sweatshirt. It sounded kind of good to me since it was so cold, but as a bike racer it's not what you want to be riding in. The bad luck in the a.m. ended up carrying on all throughout the race because as the kids and I waited and waited and waited at the finish line for Greg he wasn't coming across at about the 2 hours 15 minute mark like he expected. I was a little worried that he was hurt or had bike trouble. Finally about 2 hours 40 minutes later from the time he started he came around the corner and crossed the finish line. He wasn't hurt so I asked him what happened to his bike and he said nothing. It just took him a long time this year. The course was icy, muddy, and since he wasn't really prepared well for this race due to injuries a few weeks before he didn't do well. It happens, but it doesn't make it fun for the kids and I as spectators to have to wait extra long! We were brrrr chilly cold!

After Greg's race we had to wait around in the cold some more for Evan's Sno-Cone race. This was his second Sno-Cone Iceman race and he did a great job. This year there were the most entrants ever in the kids race. There were 500 kids racing the Sno-Cone! It was a little crazy to say the least. Although they break it up a little with the training wheel bikes doing the shortest part, Evan's age doing about 1 mile long loop, and the little bit older kids than Evan doing almost a two mile loop it was still quite congested. The course was a little bit different this year, but Evan still did a fantastic job. He went all on his own this year because Greg said he wasn't running along side of him because last year he couldn't keep up with Evan anyway. He took off and gave it his all. I saw him go around on the first part of the trail and he was smiling all excited. Finally he came around across the finish line and got his medal. He said he had to walk his bike up a couple of the hills this time, but I think that was more because it was so crowded with other kids than him not being able to do it. I'm still proud of him and how great he did. He stuck with it and finished and it was cold. Here's a few pictures from the race. Some aren't the greatest because as you already know my old camera I'm using sucks and is so slow taking pictures.

On the shuttle to the start line to see daddy take off. This was Em's first time on a school bus!
It's was cold out there, but the kids toughed it out and waited for daddy. Em wouldn't keep a hat on for anything!
Greg finally coming across the finish line!
Silly face Emme hanging out waiting for brother's race. What a cutie patootie!
Evan all geared up and ready to race! (No shorts this year!)
At the start line and ready to race!
All set to hit the trail in this huge crowd of kids!
He finished! So proud with his medal!

We made a short trip this year for the bike race and came back Saturday instead of staying another night and coming home Sunday. We left shortly after Evan's race so we could get home at a decent time. We were all tired and while the drive home wasn't very fun since I was exhausted from the wind, cold, and not sleeping well the night before, it was nice to be home back in my own bed Saturday night. With the extra hour of sleep Saturday night too and waking up Sunday being lazy it felt good not to have to drive home on Sunday. We had a laid back day Sunday which was really nice. We picked up Molly from Greg's mom's, which we appreciate her watching Molly for us, and then went to lunch. As we were walking out of the restaurant I saw MSU linebacker, Greg Jones walking out of the restaurant next door. I said something to Evan and he shouts out, "Hi Greg Jones." I had one of those moments where I knew it was Greg Jones, but then when Evan shouted it, I was like oh gosh I hope that is Greg Jones. LOL. He turned around and said hi back to Evan. I mentioned that Evan was one of his biggest fans and Greg said, "thank you." Then Evan shouted, "I hope you win your next game!" Which in return, Greg Jones, shouted back, "Thanks buddy." Evan was so excited. The only problem was Evan has this picture he drew for Greg Jones a couple months ago that he keeps asking when can he give it to him. Well, we kept telling him maybe some day if there's another football event. It's too bad I didn't have it in my purse because this would have been the perfect opportunity. Bummer. He was still excited he got to see his favorite football player!

We chilled after lunch for awhile and Greg got the bikes all washed up. Then late afternoon we headed to the movies with Greg's mom and we all saw Megamind. It was pretty good for a cartoon and the kids enjoyed it. After the movie we headed to Noodles & Co. for dinner. They had free dinner for kids if they traded in some of their Halloween candy for a bowl of noodles. it was perfect. I didn't have to cook and we got rid of some of this candy in the house! The rest of the night was spent relaxing and doing nothing! Fun weekend, but by Sunday night I was exhausted!

I'm adding a link here of some video that was shot from a video camera on a pro-racers bike. It's pretty neat to watch and now I have a glimpse of where Greg rides in this race and what it's like. At about 10-12 min. in on the video is pretty neat (& crazy) to watch these pro-racers ride into the finish so fast. I highly recommend you check it out! Video of Iceman Cometh Challenge: (Click on the link below and then click play on the right for video where the guy's hand is)
http://www.cyclingdirt.org/coverage/237804-ICEMAN-Cometh-Challenge/video/363919-The-Iceman-Experience-2010-Iceman-Cometh-Challenge

Oh and I forgot all last week, not on purpose because MSU lost, but just because I was barely getting blogs posted and was busy. My beloved Spartans had lost to Iowa in an ugly appearance by some team I didn't recognize. It's unfortunate that they lost and that nerves got the best of them. They didn't show up and play and if you don't do that you don't win. So while it was a horrible loss and not what we Spartan fans hoped for, the team had to pull together and get ready for their game against Minnesota this past Saturday. Thankfully the Spartan team we all know this season showed up and my beloved Spartans came away with another victory on Saturday. 9-1 is something to be pretty proud of. They have a bye week this coming Saturday and then two games left. There's still high hopes of finishing 11-1 and hopefully the team will keep practicing hard and finish off the season on the right note.

No comments:

Post a Comment