LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Monday, May 23, 2011

A Perfect Saturday On Campus

Hello readers! I know I'm so slacking on the blogging. I've got a new addiction that I promise to tell you about next time, but I want to catch you up on our busy busy weekend! I feel like I've been in overdrive since Friday afternoon and haven't stopped. We ordered mulch for around the house and it was delivered Friday around noon. Our neighbors Jim and Kate ordered some too so we ordered together so we could split the delivery charge. I got started shortly after 1pm on Friday filling the wheelbarrow, hauling the wheelbarrow, and spreading the mulch over and over and over. Finally about 5:30pm Kate and I finished and we were exhausted and aching all over. Both the husbands got home just about the time we were finishing. Very convenient huh? We did pretty good on the mulch and only had a little bit extra. Kate brought out some skinny margaritas and then we had a beer. Much needed after an afternoon out in the sun doing hard labor. I wasn't cooking after all that so we all got cleaned up and Jim & Kate went down to Lou Ha's with us for dinner. We had their free taco/nacho bar that they have on Friday nights at 8pm. We missed out on it the week before when we were there. All you have to do is order alcohol and it's free. So beer and nachos it was!

Saturday was a busy busy day. I got up early and headed downtown East Lansing to the Art Fair. I love this time of year when the Art Fair rolls around. I met up with my friend Wesley there and we strolled around looking at all the booths. Then Greg and the kids met me on campus around 11am so we could go to the Junior Spartan Club spring picnic. If you remember we joined the kids last fall in the Junior Spartan Club which we got to go to a football game and then the kids got into different sporting events free throughout the year. I heard about the picnic a couple weeks ago and mentioned it to my friend Marie. Her kids are in the club too so they met up with us there and went to the picnic too. There was free hot dogs, popcorn, pop, and ice cream. Plus they also had a kids area with a bounce house set up, a soccer area, and a baseball area. There were student athletes from various sports that attended and hung out with the kids. My Evan quickly made friends with the guys and before I knew it they were passing by saying, "Hi Evan!" That's my little social bug! Of course Emme was all about the cheerleaders there. Once again she wanted a picture and had to hold the poms. The kids also got to see Sparty which they were excited about. I think my Emme has finally passed that stage of being afraid of characters. She was all about getting a picture with Sparty again just like she did at the Lugnuts/MSU games last month. After the picnic, families got to attend the MSU baseball game for free. We had never been to a baseball game on campus so it was a first for us. Just the kids and I went because Greg had a bike race he was doing. We stayed for five innings, but then the kids were ready to go because it was so hot and we had been in the sun for a few hours. Plus they wanted to go to the art fair for a little bit. The Spartans ended up losing the game which was a bummer because they would have been outright Big Ten champs, but instead they clinched a part of the title and are Co-Big Ten Champs. First time since 1979 so pretty exciting. Congrats Spartan baseball team! Here's a few pics from our afternoon at the picnic. I shared the rest on Facebook.

Emmaline with the cheerleaders!
Evan with his "buddies"
The kiddos with their favorite mascot!

The kids and I walked over to the art fair and did some of the kid activities. They had a fun time, but it was a hot day on Saturday so they were a little restless! I'm not complaining about the heat, but once again Michigan weather brings no gradual warm up. It goes from the 30's the weekend before to the upper 70's-80's this weekend. The kids got to do a bunch of different arts and crafts-masks, bracelets, crowns, coloring. Finally about 4pm we decided to call it a day on campus and head home. Greg was doing this bike race his buddy Layne from work put together, and I figured he'd be getting home soon. Then we were to head over to Layne's house for a BBQ. I had to stop at Meijer on the way home and apparently I lost my mind there because when I got home I didn't have my phone. I hauled the kids back to Meijer and was praying it was in the only spot I could think it would be. Sure enough it was on the shelf where I thought it was and I was so relieved. The kids were troopers hustling back in the store while I was in my frantic state of mind. Finally we got home about 5pm and we waited and waited for Greg. The race ended up taking longer than all the guys thought. The bike race consisted of riding, target shooting, an obstacle course and canoeing down the Red Cedar rive. They left from campus on bikes and ended at campus in the canoes. Finally by the time Greg got home and cleaned up we got out to Layne's house for the BBQ around 8pm. It was a nice gathering and the spouses got to hear about the race. When we got home Saturday night, I was pretty much ready to drop. Two days of on the go non-stop with an achy sunburned body was enough for me.

Although not quite enough because Sunday we all headed back to the Art Fair since Greg didn't get to go on Saturday. The kids wanted to do more arts and crafts. We also walked around some more, but after just a couple hours we were done! It was hotter than Saturday, it was packed downtown East Lansing, and the kids and I had sunburns so we were really uncomfortable. I felt so bad for the kiddos that I forgot the sunscreen on Saturday. :( We just took it easy the rest of the day. I was exhausted and just wanted to sit after being on my feet for two days. Emme hadn't had a nap in two days so she had a much needed one on Sunday!

Today I got absolutely nothing done. Part due to my new addiction I'll tell you about next time and part because I'm still trying to recover from the weekend. I really need to get it in gear over the next few days because I'm supposed to be having a garage sale this weekend. It's really the last thing I feel like doing, but the neighborhood is having one so I figured it would be a good time to do as well. Wish me luck getting ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment