LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Sunday, July 10, 2011

1st Summer Visit To The Aquatic Center

It turned out to be a pretty jam packed weekend around the Shearwater Nest. It started Friday night when I went to a PartyLite candle party that my friend Jessica was hostessing. She was actually co-hosting I had only been to a PartyLite candle party one other time. My friend Brenda and her daughther Keyera came along too. It was a nice girl's evening of socializing, food and drinks, and candles! Brenda won the big door prize, a glass hurricane candle holder, and I won a smaller door prize a votive candle holder.

Saturday it was going to be hot hot hot so we decided to finally visit the East Lansing Aquatic Center. The kids have been asking for awhile now if we could go. We just haven't had the chance to go as a family, and the idea of me just taking the kids seemed a little overwhelming. The Aquatic Center opens at 11am, and I figured if we were going we better get there right away. The chairs get taken up quickly and we always like to get a spot under one of the umbrellas so we have shade it we want. Jess and her kids also went so we met them there. There was a little bit of a line, but we got in and got some chairs under one of the umbrellas. The kids were anxious to get in the pool and after they got their sunscreen on they took off into the pool. While I was hurrying to get our chairs set up and our towels laid out, the kids took off so fast that I was running into the pool after them. I apparently got distracted trying to look after them that I forgot to stop and put on sunscreen. Not a good thing after four hours in the pool. Ugh! I got so sunburned Greg told me I was more red than the lobster he ate last week in Maine. So a much needed trip to Meijer last night was in order to get some Aloe Gel.

We had a great time at the Aquatic Center though. We all were in the pool for hours, and Jess left for a little bit to run home and make us hot dogs for lunch. She brought hot dogs and chips back and we ate outside of the A.C. at the picnic tables. Thanks Jess for doing that for all of us. It worked out perfectly. The kids had a blast swimming, and somehow Evan passed for 48" tall (which means he didn't get the "kiddie wristband"), as did Jess' daughter Grace. Finally during our last hour there, Evan got brave enough to try the water slide. He would only go if Greg and Grace went. So they all got their tubes and headed up the stairs to the slide. I was pretty certain Evan would be coming back down the stairs when it was his turn, but he didn't. My little guy toughened up and went down the slide for the first time all by himself. He did so awesome, and I was so proud of him. He came down backwards from spinning around along the way, but glided into the pool nicely. Here's a picture of Evan's first time down the slide.

He got out and told me how fun it was, he was going again. This time no daddy though. Off they went, he and Grace up to the slide. This time when he came down he did a huge flip into the pool. Here he is flipping off the tube.

Of course as a mother, my heart is racing because Evan had never done this before, nor had I seem him go under the water like that. He did great though and pushed himself back up out of the water very quickly. A sigh of relief came across me, but it really made me think we need to quit putting off the swimming lessons and get both kids enrolled if Evan's going to keep doing the water slide. I thought Evan would for sure be done with the slide after the flip, but he went again. So proud of my little guy for the awesome job he did. My little Emme did awesome as well on the froggy slide. She loved that slide and was up and down it several times! Here she is coming down!

Here's a few more pics from our afternoon at the water park! The kids had a blast at the splash pad.
Emmaline catching some rays in the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment