LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Garage Sale Day 2 = Big Purchase For Emmaline

It's Sunday night already, how did that happen. I guess when most of my weekend was taken up by the garage sale, there wasn't much left of it to enjoy! The garage sale was to be 8:30am-4:30pm on Saturday. My alarm went off Saturday morning and I could not for anything get out of bed. I was so tired and all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. I laid there for awhile, thinking Saturday's are usually slow for garage sales and nobody usually shows up right away like they were on the first day. So I decided to stay in bed even longer. Finally I got up about 8am, hopped in the shower and got ready. I got outside and started pulling things out of the garage about 8:35am. Sure enough, like I had thought, nobody was showing up. It was dead until about 9am when the first person showed up, and of course that person didn't buy a thing. After that it was still dead so I decided to go down to the basement and brought up some bags of toys that I hadn't gotten out because I had run out of room. I set those toys out on the tables, priced them and then a few people started showing up. Right away two of those toys sold & $7 was in my pocket! Yeah for going down to the basement and bringing the toys up!

About 9:30am this car pulls up and out pops a pregnant lady and her husband. She walked in the garage and looked at the girls clothes for a minute and then says to me, "I live down the street about four houses, and I'm due in September with a girl how do your sizes correlate with that? I told her Em was born in August so pretty much they were right on, just a month apart. She then says to me, "How much for ALL your girls clothes?" I was a little awe struck and didn't know what to say. I told her I didn't really know I'd probably have to think it over. She said she had seen my ad on Craigslist and knew many of the clothes were Children's Place, Old Navy, and some Baby Gap and liked what she saw. She said eventually she's going to need it all so how about I bag her up $100 worth of clothes. I'm thinking, O.K. holy cow! Then she's talking to her husband and saying to him, "you know $100 doesn't go far when you go to Kohl's and by clothes for just you or me, do you think we need more?" He kept telling her whatever you think. She's talking to me and says, "This is my first I don't know anything about babies you're the expert, what do I need? Do I need those car seats too (I had two convertible car seats in the sale) because I have the carry car seat." I let her know that eventually she would need them. Anyway, she was in a bit of a hurry because she had to get to the hospital to do some testing for gestational diabetes. She said she'd be back in about 3 1/2 hours or so to pick up the clothes, could I get them bagged up. I told her sure and confirmed that she wanted $100 worth. She then said, oh give me $150 worth. I'm thinking, is this lady serious? She left and I started bagging in hopes that she'd return. Sure enough she came back and walks up and hands me $150. Then she's looking at the car seats and asks some questions and says she'll take those too. We walk to her car with all her stuff and she gets $100 from her husband for the car seats and hands to me. I had $50 each on them and had marked them down to $45 before she came back. She told me to just take $100. Well, o.k.! One customer = $250= AWESOME! I've never had an offer like that. I was totally blessed to have her stop by. I had weeded out most of the good items for her so basically almost all my girl clothes are gone. How nice to get rid of all that!

That was a great sale alone, but I also had a pretty good turnout for a Saturday. It was slow a lot, but did get busy in spurts and during those times I was selling items so that's good. I got rid of all my big items except my stroller and one booster seat for the kitchen table. What a great feeling to get rid of so much stuff. I started with a ridiculous amount of stuff though, and while I got rid of tons I still have tons left so I'm going to give it another go in a couple weeks when a few others in the neighborhood are having one. I figured I might as well since there will be traffic in the neighborhood.

Between the two days the sale was a great success, as was my friends Jenn and Christine's sale! It definitely paid off to have the sales at the same time and advertise the sales! I've never had a sale in July and this was by far my best sale ever. I'm thinking it's July sales from now on! With that said, that brings me to the big purchase for Emmaline. We've now definitely made up our mind that we're going to make this big purchase after weeks of debating. Little Miss Emmaline will be getting a "big girl bed" for her birthday!!! She's still in her crib, yes I know she's almost three. Really though she's content with it, but after being on vacation we started thinking that she probably is ready to be done with the crib. It's so nice though because I know she's safe in there and can't (at least doesn't try yet) get out of bed and into stuff in her room. She still takes her naps since she can't get out of her bed and she goes to bed at night. This I'm afraid is probably all going to change very soon when the big girl bed comes. However, she can't stay in her crib forever. Her crib converts to a toddler bed and then to a full size bed. So the debate really was do we change it to a toddler bed and spend about $80 on a rail to make it the toddler bed or do we just put that money towards a full size mattress. Since the sale was a success, the decision was made and we're just going right to the full size mattress and making the big purchase. We've been talking about it with Em and she wants a bed like brothers so I think she'll be happy with it.

So today we went out mattress shopping. I think we know what we want. Nothing too fancy as far as fancy mattresses are concerned, but no a cheap piece of junk mattress that isn't going to last very long. We've got a few weeks before her birthday so there's time to look around a little and decide. Besides I need to really get up in Em's room over the next few weeks and get it organized and rearrange stuff so it's ready when we do get the crib switched over and the new mattress in. I'm definitely going to be busy over the next couple weeks! For now though I'm ready for bed. The garage sale really wore me out this weekend. I don't know how it is that sitting in a garage all day wears you out, but with the sun added into that apparently it does because Friday and Saturday I was whipped. My friend Jenn said the same thing! Good night readers!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - $250 from one person - lucky you! How nice that so much of your stuff is gone too!

    ReplyDelete