LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Royal Wedding

After all the hype leading up to the big day, it's now in the history books. I'm sure you can guess what I'm talking about. The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Yes, I'm one of those people who was fascinated with the wedding and all it entailed, the dress, the procession to the church, the ceremony, the guests, the hats, the carriage ride to Buckingham Palace, the kiss, etc. I remember the engagement announced back in November. While I didn't follow every detail of their lives from then until the big day, I did know that I'd be watching the Royal nuptials once they announced the wedding date. I'm an avid watcher of the Today Show, and as they counted the days down to the Royal Wedding I got more and more excited. I remember 30 years ago watching the Royal Wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles. Yes, I was only six, but I do remember having to wake up early to watch the most talked about nuptials. This Royal Wedding brought back so many memories. Now 30 years later, it's was time for it to happen all over again, and I wasn't about to miss it.

As the wedding got closer and Emmaline would see coverage on t.v. about it, I kept asking her if she wanted to watch the wedding with me. Greg had no interest at all. He doesn't get all the fuss. I think it's a girl thing or maybe a girly girl thing. I'm definitely a girly girl, no tomboy here and I love weddings. Especially a wedding with a prince and princess! I told Em that when Kate married Prince William she would then be Princess Kate (well Catherine). She said to me, "Like you mommy when you married daddy?" Awww, my little girl melted my heart. She thinks her mommy is a princess. Well, not quite, but it was too cute hearing her say that. Emmaline kept telling me she wanted to watch it over and over. I told her she'd have to get up super early if she wanted to watch it with me. She still told me she did. All week as we saw t.v. coverage leading up to the big day, and she saw Kate on t.v. she'd say, "Look mommy, Princess Kate. Then she'd clap and say, "Yay, the Royal Wedding!" I loved seeing my little girls excitement.

Em and I decided to camp out in the living room Thursday night on the blow up mattress so we wouldn't wake Greg and Evan up. She was so excited and ready for the Royal Wedding and Princess Kate. Here she is Thursday night preparing for the wedding.

She's got her princess crown on pretending to be a princess like Kate!

I pulled out my wedding veil so Em could see it and try it on. She LOVED it and thought it was so beautiful. She said, "Mommy, I'm a princess!" (She has a butterfly on her cheek from Family Fun Night)

Since we were camping out, Evan asked if he could sleep with daddy in our room. So they had their own camp out. Unfortunately the night didn't go quite as planned. I wanted to get to bed early since I had to get up so early. That didn't happen, one because I wasn't tired and couldn't fall asleep, and two right when I was finally about to fall asleep my poor little guy got sick in our bed. Not fun times. Finally after changing sheets, etc. I got in bed about midnight and set my alarm for 3:45am. Of course the wedding wasn't until 6am, but I was watching all the coverage live starting at 4am.

The alarm went off and surprisingly I wasn't as tired as I thought. I didn't wake Emme up until about 5:30am when it was time for Prince William to get in the car and ride to the church. At first she didn't want to get up and said she just wanted to sleep. I told her the prince was on t.v. and heading to the church. She sat up, looked at the t.v., clapped her hands, and said, "Yay!" That's my little girl! Here she is all set to watch the Royal Wedding!


We had a fun time watching it. It was all that I was hoping for, and I thought Kate looked absolutely beautiful! Her dress was beautiful, the walk down the aisle was magical, seeing Prince William say to her she looked beautiful was so sweet, the two of them walking out of the church and hearing the crowd for the first time was great, and I loved seeing them ride in the carriage! I was a little disappointed in the kiss, but I was so giddy with excitement when they did a second kiss. Then there was the surprise appearance when they came driving out in the Aston Martin. So cool they made that surprise appearance for the public! I thought Kate's sister Pippa looked absolutely beautiful too. Her dress was gorgeous! Those are some very beautiful children the Middleton's have. I loved Kate's second dress just as much as the first, and I really like Pippa's evening dress too. The emerald green was so pretty! The only thing I wished would have been different is that Kate's dress had a little bit longer train. I know though she didn't want it to over the top like Princess Diana's, but still I thought it could be a tad bit longer. It was still gorgeous nonetheless. It's too bad Princess Di isn't still around to see her son get married. I think she'd be very proud of him and just adore Kate.

I watched the wedding coverage all morning and then again at night on all the shows that had specials. I know some of you probably could care less about the Royal Wedding, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all! I don't agree with all the Monarchy and their "rules" and the taxpayers money that is spent on them, etc. However, in a time where everything in the news lately is so depressing, the weather has been a drag, and our state sucks, it was nice to just be able to watch something so beautiful and enjoy some happiness in the news for a day. It was like seeing that fairytale that all little girls dream of, the girl finding her prince and having that fairytale wedding. I truly hope that they live in wedded bliss for many many years to come and the outcome is different than that of Princess Di and Prince Charles. As a mother, I can't imagine what Kate's mother must think of her daughter becoming a real princess. So crazy! However, I know that it brought me great delight to see my own daughter enjoy and share in the viewing of the Royal Wedding with me. My daughter will never be a "true" princess, but she will always be my Princess Emmaline.

No comments:

Post a Comment