LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Meet The Spartan Football Players

Yesterday was a day Evan had been waiting for since about a week ago when I mentioned it to him. I really need to remind myself not to say something too far in advance because Evan's concept of time... well it really isn't. Once I asked him if he'd want to go downtown East Lansing to meet the MSU football team a little over a week ago, I was asked constantly everyday (sometimes more than once a day) when was it time to go meet the football players. It was pretty much all he could think about. This year was the eighth annual "Meet the Spartan football players and coach." We had never gone before, and when I heard about it this year, I figured this would be something Evan would enjoy. Boy was that an understatement! When we were downtown last night Evan said to me, "This is the best day EVER!" The excitement on his face and the sparkle in his eye was so special! I knew exactly how he felt! When I was a kid and my Dad & Step-Mom took my sister and I to the Notre Dame (yes I used to be a ND fan... times have definitely changed folks) football banquet or events with football players, I was so ecstatic to meet the players! I could feel Evan's excitement last night as if it were my own as a kid!

The "Meet & Greet" started at 5:30pm and was to go until 7pm. Greg said I should get downtown about 4pm, but I thought he was joking. I figured we'd get there about 5pm and be there just a little early. Well, I was wrong because when we got there at 5pm it was already packed! The lines for autographs were LONG and there were several lines. What I expected to see downtown was a tent set up with a few of the "big name" players- captains, quarterback, etc. and the coach. Well there were two huge tents set up, and a smaller tent. One tent had the offense with two lines forming. Another tent had the defense, also with two lines forming. Then the small tent was for Coach Dantonio. I didn't expect the whole team to be there so that was a great surprise and Evan was even more excited. He couldn't wait to get autographs and pictures with the players. We got in line right away and while we waited for 5:30pm to roll around there was entertainment by the cheerleaders, Motion girls, and lots of great tunes being played! Sparty was also out and while Emmaline wanted nothing to do with getting near Sparty, (kids and mascots/characters at this age just don't mix) Evan was all about getting his picture with him. Emmaline was into the "girls" as she called them... a.k.a. cheerleaders and wanted her picture with them since she was in her cheerleader outfit. Here's a few pics of both the kids. First Evan with Sparty! Go Green!

Emmaline with the MSU cheerleaders! She was so excited to hold the pom-poms!
Em with the MSU Motion Girls! She fit right in with both!
The lines were moving slowly once it got going so since I saw the line for Coach Dantonio wasn't too long I grabbed the kids and got in that line while Greg was in another for the offense. Wouldn't you know it though both lines moved about the same and we were just about to be next in line for Coach Dantonio, and Greg was about to be next in line to start getting football players autographs. So I sent Evan back with him and Em and I stayed to get the coach's autograph. I wasn't about to miss it after all that waiting. We then joined Evan and Greg and the kids made their way through the line getting their posters signed. Emmaline was so cute following her brother along and she was into more than I thought! We made it through one line and hopped back in another. I figured we'd never make it through all of the players since it was 6:30pm by the time we hopped in line two. We ended up making it through line two, then line three, and to my surprise we made it through line four which was awesome because we wanted to get Ev's football signed by Greg Jones (his new favorite player)! For years he's talked about his favorite player being Javon "the" Ringer, but when he graduated a couple years ago Evan didn't quite understand that he doesn't play for MSU anymore and he now plays pro. So now that he's got a new favorite, I have a feeling all we'll be hearing is "Greg Jones!" We ended up making it through all the lines because the football team and Coach Dantonio stayed a little past 8pm so they could get through all the lines. Nobody got turned away, it was great! Evan had the time of his life and all he keeps telling me is he's going to play football when he gets bigger! We had a really great time and as Coach Dantonio said last night, "what a great way to bring the community together and the football team to be more involved with the community and their fans!"

Coach Dantonio signing Em's poster!
Evan was giving some of the players pounds (fist bumps) then "blowing them" (opening the hand up). The players were having fun with it, as you can see this one here "blowing it up" back.
Emmaline hamming it up with the guys as well!
Evan really wanted pictures with the players, but I had to explain to him we couldn't get a pic with every guy and I was taking some as he was getting autographs. Then while we were waiting in the last line these guys were done already and Ev went up to them and asked all by himself if he could get a picture with them. What a great shot, huh?
All the autographs the kids got on their posters and Ev's football!

My kids definitely bleed GREEN and are Spartan fans for life! We all can't wait for the football season to get underway!!!!! GO GREEN! GO WHITE! GO STATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment