LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Big Red" Tractor Memories

I mentioned that Saturday after Christmas we had a little fun winter adventure. Finally here's my post I've been talking about. My cousin Joe (on my Dad's side) made a comment on Facebook the week before Christmas that he had gotten "Big Red" up and running again. "Big Red" was my Grandpa Dickeson's tractor. It brings back lots of great childhood memories! My Grandpa passed away 12 years ago, and my cousin Joe took over "Big Red." I didn't think it was running anymore, and apparently it had and then it hadn't and over the last couple years Joe had some work done on it. In December he got it running again just in time as the snow was hitting. When I heard that "Big Red" was working again and Joe offered for us to come over for a visit and the kids could go sledding behind it and go for a ride on the tractor, I knew we had to go. When my sister and I were kids and we visited my Grandma and Grandpa's house, we spent many times riding on the tractor. Grandpa would take us for a ride in the wagon behind it, we got to sit on his lap and drive the tractor, and he would take us on the tractor down the street to a little pond at the bottom of the hill. They were great special times that I will never forget. Oh to be a kid again and have that special time back!

Since we were down at my Dad's for Christmas and Joe lives not far from my Dad, it was a good time to head over there for a visit. It wasn't looking like the kids were going to get to go sledding though because if you remember we had all that rain/ freezing rain for Christmas and pretty much all the snow was gone. Then that night on Christmas it snowed, and by Saturday afternoon when we had planned to head to Joe's there was just enough snow. I think Grandpa was watching down on us and knew the kids would have so much fun on "Big Red" so he gave us some snow!

My niece Kaite drove the tractor and pulled Ev and Em behind it on the sled. She also held both kids and let them drive the tractor. Just like my sister and I used to. The kids had a blast and Kaite loved driving the tractor. The setting was perfect on Joe and Diane's farm as the snowflakes fell and the ground was covered in the "white stuff." Here's some pictures from our fun winter adventure!

Kaite ready to take off on the tractor with Evan and Em in tow on the sled!
There's my little snow bunnies riding behind "Big Red."
Emmaline and Kaite driving the tractor around Joe's yard!
Evan taking a turn driving "Big Red" with Kaite.
Evan loved checking out Joe & Diane's horses and was so excited he could sit on one!
Emmaline didn't want to sit on the horse, but she finally decided she'd pet the horse!
Evan did a little sledding down the hill without the tractor while Kaite was busy cruisin' around the yard on "Big Red."

Thanks to Joe and Diane for inviting us out to their farm and sharing "Big Red" with the kids and letting them see their horses too! After we froze outside a little we even got to enjoy some hot cocoa inside before we left! We had a wonderful time, and it was very special that my kids got to ride on the tractor I did when I was a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment