LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Hubby Made Dinner From Scratch!

Here it is Saturday night and you're probably surprised to be hearing from me. It's been a pretty non-eventful day. It is cold out people! Well, if you live in Michigan then you already know that, but for those of you that don't... it's not just cold... it's bitter cold. We woke up this morning and it was a whopping 0 degrees. Yes, that's right COLD!!! Too cold to do anything that requires leaving the house in my opinion. I had errands to run, but just didn't feel like going out so a lazy Saturday it was for us! Since it's been so cold Greg has been in the mood for soup. Remember the soup cookbook I won at bunco last fall? Greg's been flipping through it during the week and saying he was going to pick out one of the recipes and make some soup. Today was finally that day. We both decided on the Corn, Potato & Cheese Soup. So off to the store Greg and Evan went to get the ingredients (remember, it's cold out and I wasn't leaving the house, especially to go to Meijer on a Saturday).

Greg made the soup all on his own. He does cook sometimes, but this recipe surprised me for him to make because one, he doesn't like onions and two he's not a wine person. He willingly bought the shallots and wine at the store and put them in the soup all on his own. Normally he'd ask me to omit those kind of items when I'm making something that requires them. (Note: don't omit the wine it give it a great falvor!) To my surprise he even chopped the shallots himself! Way to go honey! Maybe there's hope yet... do I hear salad in your future? (Note: Greg doesn't eat lettuce and I really wished he did so I could just make a big salad for dinner some nights. I think my little Emmaline may end up being my salad buddy in the future... keeping my fingers crossed. Here's Greg going to work making the soup... starting with the shallots!!!


Here's the recipe:

Corn, Potato, & Cheese Soup
2 TBSP butter
2 Shallots, finely chopped
8 oz. potatoes, diced
4 TBSP all-purpose flour
2 TBSP dry white wine
1 1/4 cups milk
11 1/2oz. canned corn kernels, drained
generous 3/4 cup grated Swiss or cheddar cheese (we used cheddar)
8-10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
fresh sage sprigs and croutons to garnish (optional)

Directions:
  1. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the white wine, then gradually stir in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously, then reduce the heat and simmer.
  3. Stir in the corn kernels, cheese, chopped sage, and cream and heat thoroughly gently until the cheese has just melted.
  4. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with croutons, and fresh sage sprigs if desired.
The soup was fantastic! The only problem is it didn't make that much so we would definitely double the recipe next time. When we make soup I like to have left overs. If you're going to all that work to make soup from scratch then you might as well have enough to enjoy the next day. This is a picture from the cookbook. It's the best I could get and figured it was still better than taking a picture of my own bowl of soup!


Just a side note: The recipe calls for 8oz. of potatoes diced. What the heck is that? Usually a recipe will say 2-3 potatoes or something or a cup of diced potatoes. So I figured it meant about a cup of potatoes (2-3 depending on size). Also, we used a Chardonnay. I guarantee you'll really enjoy it if you make it! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so nice when you don't have to do the shopping and make the dinner?! It looks like a great recipe. We like soup and will have to try this one sometime.

    Also, I forgot to post below that I really like how your bathroom paint color turned out. That blue is really pretty. Nice job on tackling that all by yourself!

    ReplyDelete