LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Discovery

When I was sick a couple weekends ago, I pretty much had no energy to do anything. That Thursday before I came down with everything I was on the web watching the space shuttle Discovery take off from Kennedy Space Center. I had clicked on a link from the NBC Nightly News Facebook page which lead me to the NASA website. From there I discovered NASA TV and was instantly drawn into it. I watched the prep for takeoff and then the actual shuttle liftoff. Come Friday when I was laying on the couch all day, in between naps I found myself drawn to the NASA website again and again. It pretty much continued through the weekend and on.

I had new found love for NASA, the space shuttle, astronauts, the International Space Station (ISS), and outer space. I think because this mission was Discovery's last, as well as being one of the last three space shuttles in space made it very special and somewhat emotional. The kids became very interested in it as well, which was very exciting to watch. Evan especially loved watching online with me. We would watch the videos posted and many times watch the live feed. It's seems so crazy to me the things we can do these days. I'm sitting in my living room watching on my computer astronauts floating around the ISS. The idea of going to outer space fascinates me. It's exciting and scary all at the same time.

The kids and I watched parts of both of the space walks last week with astronauts Steve Bowen and Alvin Drew. I don't recall ever watching a space walk and it just amazed me to no end. The thought of being out there in space tethered to the ISS is crazy scary to me, but at the same time it's so neat and amazing. I loved watching every minute of it. I managed to catch the two astronauts entering the hatch back into the ISS after the space walk one day. Then on the second space walk day I got to see them exit the hatch and go out into space and start the space walk. Very amazing how it's all done and kudos to the astronauts for doing a spectacular job on the space walks.

Today Discovery came home, and it's all my little guy talked about all week. He knew which day it was and didn't forget. He kept asking if we could get to Florida in time to watch the landing. What a kid. The scheduled landing was for 11:57a.m. this morning and it landed at 11:57a.m. I don't know who was more excited for it, Evan or me. It was going to be a historical moment for sure because it was Discovery's last landing before being retired. Evan got home from school just in time, and two minutes later Discovery landed at 11:57a.m. in Florida. It was definitely a little emotional to watch and so cool to see the astronauts come down off Discovery and talk to the media. A great moment indeed.

I'm already looking forward to Endeavour's liftoff in April. That mission will be extra special to watch, as Mark Kelly, husband of Gabrielle Giffords, commands the shuttle mission. I've been following that whole story since the horrible shooting in Tucson. It will be a very special moment especially if Gabby Giffords is able to watch her husband. Fingers crossed she keeps healing and progressing as they say she is. I highly recommend that if you haven't checked outnasa.gov that you do. There's so much good and fascinating information there. Watch the videos and check out the photos. Awesome! Most definitely, watch NASA TV on nasa.gov if you never have. I'm going to leave you with a couple of my favorite photos from Discovery's mission. Farewell Discovery.

Shuttle liftoff Feb. 24, 2011
Astronaut Steve Bowen during the second spacewalk attached to a Canadarm2 mobile foot restraint outside the ISS
Space shuttle Discovery landing at Kennedy Space Center. Picture perfect landing!

No comments:

Post a Comment