LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

Here it is the end of Labor Day weekend, and while it's not the "official" end of summer since that's not until September 23rd when fall officially arrives, it is the end of summer in the sense that it's back to school time tomorrow. Well at least for us in Michigan since all public schools start the day after Labor Day. We had a pretty nice weekend even though the weather wasn't exactly what we wanted it to be. Man, did it cool down a lot this weekend. Seriously is there ever a middle as far as the weather is concerned? It goes from one extreme to the next. From the mid 80's to low 60's and even cooler at night. I'm starting to get in the fall spirit even though I am quickly missing summer as school is about to start tomorrow. However, I'd really like to head into fall gradually and have it not turn cold too fast!

Our weekend brought about a little bit of kid free time. The kids went to Greg's mom's Friday and Saturday night. Since we had some kid free time, Friday evening we went to Pizza House with our friend Brenda. She was telling me how good the Bloody Mary's were there so of course I had to try them. For those of you who don't know, I love me a good Bloody Mary! We had dinner and of course I had a couple Bloody Mary's. I'm putting Pizza House at the top of my list for Bloody Mary's. So good and lots of garnishes in the Bloody Mary- olives (my favorite in a Bloody Mary, pickle, and a banana pepper! It was a nice evening to have some adult conversation and not be interrupted.

Saturday was one of my favorite days of the year... College Football kicked off and my Spartans were playing at home versus Western Michigan. Greg and I headed to Crunchy's (local bar in downtown E.L.) and watched a little bit of the game. They had $2 burgers and $2 Bloody Mary's! Yes, I had some more! Then we headed home and watched the rest of the game and Brenda came over to hang with us and cheer on the Spartans! My beloved MSU football team came away with a "W" to start their season which made for a great day! I have high hopes for the team this year so I hope they don't disappoint. With that said though, they're going to have to step it up a few notches. They didn't look as good as I thought they were going to. Saturday night we just chilled pretty much.

Sunday was our neighborhood block party. Many of us talked about it from time to time this summer and nothing ever got planned. Finally about a month ago I decided to get the ball rolling and through out a few dates of when to have it. The majority vote was September 5th so that's what we went with. Last year we had it Labor Day weekend and had a pretty good turn out. This year it was a busy weekend for many so it was a smaller crowd. Our association never plans anything so that's why we just do our own thing. We ended up volunteering to have it in our backyard and side street since it was smaller. It worked out nice and a good time was had by all. It was a lot of work though for me to do by myself. I do have to thank Angie for hauling down a bunch of chairs, some tables, and her grill for us to use. (She's pregnant and due in about 3 weeks and was hauling all this stuff. I think she was trying to go into labor.) Thanks to Jessica & Dawn for helping clean up. My husband was awesome once again entertaining the kids and he manned the grill. I think next year though I'm passing on the duties unless a couple people want to step up and help me with it.

Today was a crappy day weather wise. It was supposed to be 81 and sunny, and instead it was 63 and rainy. We did a little last minute back to school shopping and a big thanks to Greg's mom for giving Evan some money to buy lots of school clothes and then buying him a few more things today. I've never seen a five year old so into shopping. He tells me he's going to look so cool for school. Now I really must get to bed. I've got to get myself and the kiddos up and out of here by 8am for Evan's first day of kindergarten. Wish me luck because we're not a get up and go kind of morning family! It's going to be an emotional day tomorrow for me I have a feeling. I just can't believe my little guy is in kindergarten already. I'd like to wish my niece Kaite a great day tomorrow too starting high school. Seriously, where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment