LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Friday, September 24, 2010

School Stuff

It's a Friday! You rarely hear from me on a Friday, but yeah me for getting another post in this week! We're now well into the school routine since Evan just finished his third week of school. Wow, this month is flying by. Every Friday Evan's got a Friday folder he brings home with all his school work from the week. I'm so amazed at what he is learning already. I can only imagine how far he will have come by the end of the school year. It only took the second week of school for the Scholastic book order to come home in the Friday folder. Do you remember the Scholastic book order from when you were in school. I loved, loved, loved the Scholastic book order. Getting to order new books was so exciting. Evan actually had the Scholastic book orders in preschool the past two years. The first time he brought one home in preschool I was a little shocked that he did. I didn't know they even did book orders in preschool. It was great though because I loved ordering him new books. I'm the "sucker" parent when it comes to the Scholastic book order. I pretty much order almost every time! I'm even known to order some books from the Scholastic book order for gifts. Nothing better than a good book for a child! I'm also a "sucker" when it comes to the $1 books on the order form. They're usually decent books and they usually end up in my order, at least one if not more. I love looking through the order forms and seeing what's available that month, and when I see books that I had as a kid I get really excited. Evan loves looking through the book orders too, and I'm not sure who gets more excited about it, him or me! So with that said, the book order is due back to school on Monday and it looks like we'll probably be getting a few new books!

This week in school Evan was student of the day on Monday. Each day there's a different student of the day and then after everyone has had a chance it starts all over again. So about once a month each child gets to be student of the day and do special things. Student of the day gets to bring in the class snack, be the line leader, carry the bell at recess time, and do things like calendar, use the Smart Board, etc. For this first month of "student of the month" each student has a special book they have to complete before it's their special day. We picked up these books at open house and Evan completed his right away before school even started. Here's a couple pages from his book.

On this page he had to draw a picture of his home. He did this all by himself and he made a point to show me he drew the front door window just like our door. He did a great job!

This page he drew his favorite thing to do inside... play his drums!

When Evan found out about student of the day he couldn't wait until it was his day. He informed me right away that he was taking popcorn for snack. One of his favorite things and it was on the snack list as an acceptable item to bring in. So Sunday night we popped bags of popcorn and bagged up 25 little baggies for snack. (The teacher asks that snack be already prepared and ready to distribute to the students. Much different than preschool when I just had to send a box of crackers or bag of goldfish in.) The popcorn was a hit with the kids Evan said and he had a great day being student of the day!

This week in school also brought about picture day. When you hear picture day, I know it's got to bring back memories for you because it does for me. The Lifetouch school portraits. No, they haven't changed much. The order form still looks the same and there's the five different backgrounds to choose from. Do you remember the laser background when you were in school. When Greg and I looked at the order form, it was the first thing we both said. It wasn't an option this time around. Darn it. LOL. However, what has changed is the price. I can't believe how expensive the packages are for school pictures and none of the packages have the right size pictures you need. Then when you have a husband who is a photographer and you know he can take better pictures you don't really want to spend a lot. We decided to order some this time just because you have to have your kids school picture, but believe me we won't be spending a fortune on school pictures throughout the kids school years. A basic package is good enough for us! With picture day comes the big question of what to wear. Thank goodness I've only got a kindergartener right now because I'm sure the day will come when picture day will be a struggle between the kids and I of what they should where. Evan and I kind of talked about what he should wear and I gave him a few options and he made a nice choice. So we'll see in a few months when pictures come in how they come out. I told him to smile nice when he got out of the car this morning, and when I picked him up he said he did.

That wraps up the latest school stuff. No homework for my little guy, but I can see he's doing a lot in school everyday. I think we made a good choice in sending him to Haslett. Oh I almost forgot to share the nice message from Evan's teacher. I had sent her an email last week about volunteering in the classroom and she emailed me back. At the end of her email she wrote, "Your Evan is awesome!!!" What a great thing to hear from your child's teacher after only two weeks of school. Way to go Ev, keep up the great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment