LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Friday, November 20, 2009

Do You Decorate Before or After...?

While the weather lately has been relatively warm for November, it's been an opportunity for people to start decorating their houses for Christmas. Over the past couple weeks there have been many houses in the neighborhood that put up Christmas lights and decorations outside. I haven't seen anyone with a Christmas tree up yet, but that's not to say there isn't. So my question for you readers is... Do you decorate for Christmas before or after Thanksgiving? I'm just curious. I personally don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. It just seems too early before. The day after Halloween all the stores had Christmas decorations up, and it seemed like Halloween was quickly forgotten. I think the stores had Christmas stuff up before I was able to blog about Halloween!

I wouldn't say I have a problem with people decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving. It just seems like Thanksgiving gets overlooked and it's right to Christmas. Granted it's been warm and who wouldn't rather put the Christmas lights out in 50-60 degree weather as opposed to in the freezing snow and cold 30 degree weather? However, that's part of the fun of it in a way... freezing your butt off while stringing lights outside. Then you come in and drink some hot cocoa to warm up and back out you go. What I do have a problem with is people turning on the Christmas lights outside before Thanksgiving. I guess "problem" might not be the right word. If you are one to turn your lights on before Thanksgiving, it's your prerogative. I don't think badly of you, I just think that maybe it could wait until after Thanksgiving. Really I'm thinking in your best interest because you could save a few dollars on your electric bill by waiting until after.

Some people might have an excuse to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving which is understandable. Like my friend Ann wrote on her blog Life on Roosevelt Street the other day, that last year she was decorating at this time because she was about to have a baby. That I totally understand because seriously, who would be in the mood to decorate when caring for a newborn and all the lack of sleep that comes with it? But for those who just jump the gun to get a head start on their neighbor for sake of competition seems a bit silly!

As Thanksgiving is approaching next week, I will probably start the Christmas decorating that weekend or the following week. I'm really in no hurry. I'm not sure that I will put lights outside this year. I sold my lighted reindeer in the garage sale this summer. They were just too much of a pain to deal with, especially in the snow. (Had I put them out in October, maybe I would of thought differently.) I was going all out last year and put lights on the porch and all the bushes only to finish and half of the lights didn't work. And yes, I did test the strands before I started! Ugh, I was so ticked! I might just do the porch this year with some garland and lights and call it good, we'll see. I guess those of you who have already decorated are one step ahead of me. For those of you who wait until after Thanksgiving, I'll be joining you as we get the Christmas decor out after we eat the turkey!

1 comment:

  1. Normally, I don't put up anything for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but this year, Jason did get out and put some of the lights in the trees. We aren't turning them on though until December. I, too, hate to rush through Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete