LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Food For A Good Cause

This past week there's been a lot of things going on around campus in prep for the MSU-PSU game. One being the blood challenge I told you about on Tuesday which unfortunately MSU lost. Penn State ended up donating 2,129 pints to MSU's 1,880 pints. Although MSU didn't win the blood challenge there was lots of blood donated for a great cause.

Also this week, MSU's Division of Residential and Hospitality Services and the Athletics Department co-sponsored the third annual "Help Tackle Hunger Food Drive." It started on Monday and went until today's MSU-PSU football game. MSU's football coach, Mark Dantonio's wife, Becky Dantonio helped organize the food drive three years ago when they came to Michigan State. Collections were held at various campus locations throughout the week, as well as collection spots around Spartan Stadium and popular tailgate spots during the game today. Any food collected during the week is to be donated to the MSU Student Food Bank and any food collected on game day will be given to the Greater Lansing Food Bank.

We all know that our state is not in the best of times right now and now more than ever there are many individuals and families that need help. While we're not living the life of the rich and famous by any means, and there have been some tough times for us, I want my children to know that there are people who are worse off than us. I can't really complain right now because my husband has a job when others don't. While I'd like a job myself the market isn't great for teachers right now and anything I've found requires me to put my kids in daycare so the daycare costs out way the pay. (Daycare is expensive isn't it?) So I thought this food drive would be a great way to help teach my children about the spirit of giving to those less fortunate especially around the holidays.

I dug into the cupboards and pulled out some items that we could donate to the food drive. Items like canned goods, boxed meals, pasta, rice, and soup which are in high demand. While Em is a little young to really understand, I explained to Evan what we were going to do. He was really excited because we were going to help someone. I was glad to see his excitement! So off we went yesterday afternoon to drop off our bag of food at the MSU Union. Here's the kids helping me out!


This year many food banks are in a crisis mode and have a huge shortage of food. The Greater Lansing Food Bank is one of them. They serve 18,000 families monthly. Can you believe that number? It's astonishing! They are concerned that they won't be able to help the growing need. Especially the huge growing need for families of small children who need formula and baby food. I urge you to donate if at all possible to the Greater Lansing Food Bank or if you're not from the area to your local food bank. Even if you can't afford much, a couple cans are better than none. You'll be helping out a great cause! Last year the "Help Tackle Hunger Food Drive" collected 3500 pounds of food and personal care items. This year they were well on their way to the 5000 pound goal they hoped to reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment