LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pop

We all like pop don't we? Most people I know like to drink pop. Some more than others, but nonetheless most of us are pop drinkers I'd say. I've always known pop to be called pop. It's a Midwestern thing. Out East they call it soda. I remember the first time I went to Boston when I was a kid. I asked the waiter what kind of pop they had, and he just looked at me weird. Finally he said, "Oh you mean soda." I guess that was a dead giveaway (besides my non-accent) that I was a tourist. My cousins out in Arizona also call pop, soda. They used to laugh at my sister and I when we would say pop and think it's weird. However we laugh at them because they think Faygo is a delicacy. When they came to visit us for our wedding they had to get Faygo. They couldn't believe how widely available Faygo was in stores here. Something they don't see out west. As far as what is right, pop or soda, I guess it just depends on where you're from. What do you call it?

For those of you who don't know me all that well, I like pop, a lot! Those of you who know me pretty well know that I love diet Coke, a.k.a. dc. I love love love a fountain dc, however give me a can of diet Coke and I'm good too. This past summer McDonald's had large diet Cokes for $1.00. I was seriously addicted to the $1.00 dc's. Come September though the $1.00 promotion ended, and I was sad. It's probably a good thing though because I probably had a few too many diet Cokes this summer. I don't know what it is, but McDonald's seems to have the best tasting diet Coke. I'm sure it's all in my head, and Greg thinks I'm crazy, but seriously a dc from McDonald's is heavenly. I think it's the straws because McDonald's has big fat straws as opposed to most places that have a skinny straw. Can you tell yet that I love fountain diet Coke?

As far as cola, I don't care for Pepsi too much. If I've got a choice it's definitely Coke. I never buy Pepsi and probably never will. It's never really appealed to me and probably never will be my choice over Coke. I'll drink it if that's all that's available, but I don't crave it like diet Coke. If it's all a restaurant has I'll sometimes get a diet Pepsi, with a lemon. That helps the taste for me, but usually I end up ordering an iced tea.

I also like other pop (non-cola) such as Mountain Dew, Root Beer, Cherry Coke, Sprite, and Orange pop. They have to be diet though because I don't care for regular pop, unless it's Root Beer then regular is o.k. And Sprite I don't like from the fountain too much, I'd rather drink it from a can.

We drink a lot of pop in our house. Probably not as much as our neighbors Rich and Liana. They drink a ton. A couple of years ago when we stayed with them in Traverse City for the Iceman, they were cracking open cans of pop for breakfast. I'm not that bad. I don't usually drink pop for breakfast. I'm not saying I never have, but it's a rare occasion I have pop for breakfast. Sometimes Rich even has two cans of pop in hand at a time. Double fisted with beer is understandable, but pop is a little weird. LOL. Pop is pretty much a staple in our household. I wish I didn't like it so much because I know it's really not the best thing to drink all the time.

So here's the thing. I'm thinking of giving up pop for a couple weeks. I know, you're saying a couple weeks what's the point? Well, I can't just give it up all together. I just know right now that's not feasible. It just wouldn't happen. So I was thinking I'd try to give up pop for two weeks at home. If we're out at a restaurant I'm going to try to not order a pop, but that might be a little harder seeing how I love a good fountain dc. I'm going to give it a whirl though. If I can accomplish the home part though that's a good start. So starting next Monday I'm going to start my non-pop journey. I might be a little grouchy without my dc, but I'll try and hold it together. I'll keep you updated and let you know how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment