LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ice Cream At The Gardens


Tonight was the Lansing Mom's Like Me "Family Night Out." It took us back to the MSU gardens for yet another visit and included free ice cream from the MSU Dairy Store and activities for the kiddos! I didn't tell Evan about this until this afternoon because I knew he'd keep asking me when we were going. He loves to go to the children's gardens and he loves ice cream! When I told him he asked me if we were going after dinner, and I told him no it would be before dinner. The reaction I got from him was, "Wow mommy, we never get ice cream BEFORE dinner." We had a late lunch so it was all good.

The MSU Dairy Store on campus provided the ice cream and we got to choose from chocolate, vanilla, strawberry sundae, and sesquicentennial swirl. Evan chose the chocolate of course, Em had the strawberry, and Greg and I went for the sesquicentennial swirl which was cake batter ice cream with cake pieces and frosting ribbon. It wouldn't be MSU ice cream if it wasn't green and white so of course the ice cream was white and the frosting ribbon was green. It was delicious and I highly recommend it to those of you readers who are nearby and can visit the Dairy Store! Yum yum! It was so good that Evan had a taste and ended up swapping Greg his chocolate for it. Then of course Em saw the chocolate so had to swap her strawberry with daddy so Greg ended up with the strawberry sundae. Here's the tasty green and white ice cream...


...and here's the kids eating their ice cream!


After we ate our ice cream, there were activities planned for the kids which involved a scavenger hunt. Each kid got a packet with a coloring book, crayons, and a list of items to find on the scavenger hunt. Here's the list of items the kids had to find.


We found quite a few of them, all but five. Had we gone back to one part of the gardens I think we could have found them all, but it was hot and Ev was anxious to get home to ride his bike (more on that in a minute). We had a great time and once again a big thanks to LMLM for hosting another spectacular family night out! Here's a few more pics of the Children's Gardens because you just can't look at enough of this beautiful place! You'll see in the last picture, once again the dance chimes were a hit with my little music lovers!



When we got home we headed out for out walk and Evan has made a new little friend down the street. My friend Jess has a little girl named Grace that is going into first grade. She's learning to ride her bike without training wheels and wanted Evan to teach her. We stopped and tried to help her out a little and Evan was showing her how he could ride his bike so well without the training wheels. I know I haven't talked about Evan and his bike for quite some time, but really folks there's not much new to tell besides Evan thinks he owns the road when riding his bike. We have to remind him that he can't get too far ahead of us and he needs to slow down a little, but this kid truly has no fear on his bike and he has it mastered. We thought Grace's bike was a little too big for her so Evan is loaning his old bike to her for awhile so she can practice on that. While they were on the bikes Em and I hung out across the street with her friend Maddie and Lucia. We got all covered in sidewalk chalk, but the kids had fun so that's all that matters. Lucia and her family were gone to Spain for two months so this was the first time Em has gotten to play with her in quite some time.

After bike riding and playing with chalk we finished our walk and headed home. However not before Evan and Grace were planning a sleep over. Yes, folks my four year old wanted to sleep over at a girls house! We tried to tell Grace that Evan isn't really fond of being away from mom & dad at night, but Evan jumped right in saying he would be fine and could spend the night away from us. I asked him where he would sleep and he said in Grace's room and he'd take his Diego bed (his blowup sleeping bag mattress). He had an answer for everything we said when trying to tell him he had to come home. Oh, I thought this kind of stuff didn't happen for many years to come! Needless to say, he did come home with us and there was no sleeping over at a girl's house. Oh kids, you gotta love them... the things they come up with!

For those of you not on Facebook, I thought I'd share my status with you from today. This is what it said... "My two year old Emmaline was telling her shadow..."no go away," and my four year old Evan was doing an awesome job at subtracting." It was really too funny with Em earlier today when she saw her shadow on the living room floor and she kept trying to move away from it and then she would keep saying, "no go away" over and over. Then my Evan got a new math puzzle today and he was doing some addition and some subtraction which I was really surprised how well he did with the subtraction! I love these kinds of moments with my kids and am glad I'm a parent!

No comments:

Post a Comment