LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Sunday, July 12, 2009

East Lansing Farmer's Market

Today was a long awaited day for many East Lansing residents. There's been lots of talk about the Farmer's Market coming to East Lansing. When is it going to open? That's the question that I heard from several people. Many thought it was opening in May like some of the other local markets, but that was not the case. Finally we all heard a date and it was scheduled to open, today at 10am. Being a Facebook junkie that I am, I had got an update the other day about the farmer's market opening and there would be a ribbon cutting at 10am and coupons handed out to the first 50 people. So of course I was going to be there at 10am!

The farmer's market is located in downtown East Lansing in the Valley Court Park. When we arrived there weren't a whole lot of people there yet which I was kind of surprised by. I figured with all the talk that there would be a good crowd. We were a little early, but still I expected more. Some of the booths were still setting up, and I was also a little surprised at how small it was. I know it's new and it's only E. Lansing, but I expected it to be a little bigger. Take a look...


I'm guessing that it will probably grow a little as it gets going. I'm sure some of the booths will change as well, as the produce changes. I really wanted some tomatoes, but there were none to be had. I was a little surprised to see that the "Grand Traverse Pie Co." and "El Azteco" (a local Mexican restaurant) had tents there. By about 10:30am the crowd did pick up a lot and there were many locals checking out the market. We even ran into our friends, the Beckwith family. They decided to check it out too after I mentioned it to them last night! Here's the crowd later on.


We did end up getting a couple things with our coupons and only spent $3 total. Here's my big first purchase at the E.L. Farmer's Market.


Flowers $4, Potatoes $2, Squash & Zucchini 2/$1. Here's one of the coupons they were handing out too. $2 off a purchase. For the stuff I bought I didn't think the prices were too bad. I always like zucchini and squash at restaurants, but have never cooked it so I'm going to give it a whirl. If anyone has suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them! I'm looking forward to visiting the Farmer's Market some more. It's open every Sunday 10-3pm until October 25th!

1 comment:

  1. We have a farmer's market for Canton that is open on Sundays that's near our neighborhood. It's nice, but it's also pretty small. And a lot of the stuff is crafts, which is okay, but locally grown fruits and vegetables and flowers and such is more of what I'm interested in! I keep hoping that it will gain a good following of people and grow to something bigger and better in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete