LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

MJ Tribute

It's been almost two weeks since Michael Jackson passed away and to me it's still hard to believe. It was the day I made strawberry jam, June 25th and I hadn't been on the computer all afternoon and didn't have the t.v. on. First I got a text from my mom, and right after I got one from my sister saying "Michael Jackson died." All I could think was, "holy crap, no way, this has got to be another MJ rumor." Nope, it wasn't. Sure enough he had passed away and it just didn't seem real. I was one of those kids that grew up in the 80's listening to MJ songs. I find it hard to believe if you're around my age and you weren't a Michael Jackson fan. Yes, honey I'm talking about you and whoever else didn't have the MJ albums. I just learned something new about my husband and that he wasn't a big MJ fan. Weird, very weird. I mean really, if you were a kid in the 80's it was pretty much all you listened to, right? He was the King of Pop, member of the Jackson 5, wore the white glove, did the moonwalk, had elaborate stage performances, the high pants and white socks, and the list goes on!

As you all know he was celebrated today with a nationally televised memorial that lasted two plus hours, not to mention all the specials that have aired over the last couple weeks. I thought it would be fitting to reminisce a little about my favorite MJ memories. One of my favorite MJ albums of all time was Thriller in 1982. It included tracks such as Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Beat It, Billie Jean, Thriller, & P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) to name a few. Great songs readers, great songs!


Not only was the Thriller ablum great, but the Thriller video was my favorite! When I heard the news that MJ passed, the first thing that came to my mind was the Thriller video. I had that on VHS and I can remember like it was yesterday watching it ALL the time. Thinking back, I think that video would scare my kids today, but I loved it! I don't know what ever happened to it, but I do know that I don't have it. I'm sure it got put in a garage sale and someone probably still has it today. Oh how lucky that person is. If for some strange reason you're not familiar with it, you should check out the Thriller Video on youtube. There are many versions. My sister and I played that video several times which brings back great memories... good times, good times!

I could probably go on all night about MJ memories. The single "We Are The World," stands out. Jen, I'm sure you remember us singing that one over and over. The videos "Black or White" and "Scream" were also great videos. Neverland, the Pepsi commercial, the performances, the leather jackets, the MJ souvenirs- posters, buttons, t-shirts, and on and on and on. I had a lot of those souvenirs at one time (oh how I wished I would've saved them now), and just today I was recalling a button that I had at one time. I remember it so clearly like it's right here in front of me, but it's not. I actually described it to my mom today- picture of MJ on the button in a yellow sweater, white shirt, and a pink background. Do you all remember that picture? Here's the button:
While these are just a few of the great memories of MJ, there's also some memories of MJ that aren't great, but we'll all never forget them. The numerous plastic surgeries, the dangling of his baby, his children wearing masks in public, the numerous child sexual abuse accusations, the list goes on once again. Overall though, no matter what your opinion is of Michael Jackson, you have to admit that he was an amazing performer. His legacy will live on forever. The memorial today I thought was a wonderful celebration of his life and was put together very well. My only hope now is that the children come first and aren't put through a long drawn out custody battle. Michael Jackson- August 29, 1958- June 25, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment