LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Monday, September 7, 2009

1st Annual Neighborhood Block Party

It's been a great holiday weekend in the Kohuth household! Saturday my beloved Spartans won their first football game so that's a "W" in the books! Next up is Central Michigan. Let's go for another win Spartans! We didn't do too much Saturday besides watch football, run some errands, and do some last minute planning for the block party.

Sunday we were on the go from morning until night. It was finally the big block party day that I had been planning for a few weeks with some other neighbors. I had to run and get a few last minute items in the morning. Then Em needed to get down for an early nap which she so thankfully cooperated for. While she napped I went do the street to help set up for the party. Between a group of us, we were able to get all the tables, chairs, grills, etc. set up before the 4pm party start time and we still had a good hour to spare!

Families were asked to contribute $5 for the meat and buns, bring a dish to pass, as well as BYOB (pop, water, etc). I took a pasta salad and watermelon, and then I picked up this cake from Sam's Sunday morning to take.


We had a ton of food. Hamburgers and hot dogs were grilled and there were a bunch of different salads, dips, desserts, and even Eggplant Parmesan which were all brought by the neighbors who attended! Tony's pasta salad and Christine's apple dip were two of my favorites! A great selection to choose from and way too much to eat! My friends Tony and Jeff did the grilling. Thanks guys! You did an awesome job! Here they are manning the grills.


The kids had a lot of fun running around and playing in the bounce house that the Thompson family contributed! (Thanks!) Here's some of the kids having fun in the bounce house.

Emmaline and her friend Madeleine jumping away! Em LOVED the bounce house!

Em's friends Lucia and Madeleine having a great time!

A neighbor I just met this week, Anne brought this sno-cone machine for the kids to enjoy! Boy was it a hit! Here's Evan and his friends Grace and Matt checking it out! Thanks Anne!
Now it's Em and Maddies' turn to get some sno-cones!

Here's Emmaline and her buddy Madeleine enjoying the sno-cones. Hmmm, I wonder how many this is for them? I know I saw Em over at the machine often!
Here's part of the crowd as we all started to dig into the goodies!
Some more of the neighbors eating and socializing!

An overview from the new house going up on the block!
As the evening went on and it got darker, the girls found some glo sticks to carry around and were quite happy with them. Here they are showing off their glo sticks!

Em, Madeleine, & Maddie were missing their friend Lucia who went inside to go to bed. So leave it to the three girls to peek in and see her one more time and to catch a little bit of cartoons on the T.V! Isn't this absolutely ADORABLE! My friend Dawn caught this moment! Thanks Dawn!

Of course the party and this post wouldn't be complete without a good drinking SHOT! So leave it to Jen for the Kodak Moment! Here's Jen thinking, "I probably shouldn't have done that shot of tequila!" I'm glad I captured this Jen! Better her than me because I'm not much for tequila shots. I stuck to the beer and Mike's!

The block party turned out great! We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather! I even worked on my end of the summer tan! For a BBQ that started out with four families, we ended up with a good turnout and probably had around 50-60 people! We've been waiting for three years to have the HOA plan a block party and it hasn't happened so we took it upon ourselves to do it. I'm pretty sure this is going to be an annual event for most of us! Everyone had a great time! It was a great way to meet new neighbors and hang with "old" neighbors! Thanks to everyone who helped to make this a success and to all the neighbors who showed up when they said they would, and to the Beckwith's and Buchin's for the use of their grills, and Dawn, Dave, Tony, Carmen, Ahna, & Jason for the use of their yards and driveways! We live in a wonderful neighborhood and are blessed to have such great neighbors/friends! I think this last picture tells it all...


A thumbs up for the block party & Jen's recovered from the tequila SHOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment