LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Dreaded Grocery Store Trip

For about three weeks I've avoided the big grocery store trip. You know, the one where you have the long list of items and it takes you forever to do the shopping. I've made a few trips here and there for things like milk, bread, bananas, and such. So tonight I finally decided it was time to hit Meijer and get the grocery shopping done. I had my list made this morning, got all my coupons out that I was going to use, and was all set so I could get in and out of Meijer in a reasonable amount of time. I had planned to go after dinner by myself because Em was still napping (she had a late nap today), and I figured I could be faster "sans" kids and they could stay home with Greg. Then as I was getting ready to leave Em woke up in a super crabby crying mood. She didn't want to let go of mommy and finally the only thing to get her to stop was when I asked her if she wanted to go to the store and look at the fish and toys. She stopped crying and was ready to go when she heard that. So if I was hauling her along that meant Greg and Evan were coming. I figured he could take her to look at the fish and toys while I grocery shopped. Why not kill two birds with one stone, right?

We got to Meijer and I had something to return so while I did that Greg and the kids did the bottle returns for me. I hate doing them because I can't stand the smell in the bottle/can area. Plus the machines go way to slow. Such a pain. So that worked out well because I did my return and started grocery shopping while they were doing the bottles. I was moving along through the store just fine. Then Greg and the kids found me and there was a bag of those small sized pop cans that the machine wouldn't take so I had to try and find someone to help me out in bottles. Well, of course trying to find someone in Meijer to help you is next to impossible. By the time someone came, I could of seriously done 1/3 of my shopping and come back before the bottle person got there.

Once that was taken care of, I continued on with my shopping and once again was doing fine. Then I got to the deli and I swear the two ladies working behind the counter moved slower than a snail. I just wanted to get home, and had Evan not been asking me all week to get some chicken deli meat all week I probably would've skipped it. I promised him I'd get the kind he likes when I went to the store so I waited it out. Finally it was my turn, I got my chicken and then thought I might as well get some ham too so I can make the ham & cheese crescent rolls this weekend. Wouldn't you know it, the ham had to be sliced because they were out. So the lady starts slicing it and right after me another customer asked for the same thing. The lady waiting on me decides she'll slice some for her too which was fine, until she gives the other deli lady my ham to give to the other customer. Are you serious? I've already waited like 15 minutes and now I have to wait longer because she gives the ham she sliced for me to someone else. Just my luck. I was seriously beginning to think we were going to spend the night at Meijer.

Finally we made it to the check out, and thank goodness Greg was with me because he scanned the groceries while I bagged them. Some of you might not like the U-Scan, but I love it! I always go to the U-Scan. I seriously don't remember the last time I was at Meijer and went through a regular check out. I like my groceries bagged a certain way, (that must be from my days when I worked as a bagger at a grocery store while in high school) so that's why I go to the U-Scan. Plus half the time the cashiers at Meijer seem to be very unfriendly and I can't stand it so I'd rather not deal with them. Finally after an hour and a half we got out of there. Ugh! There went our evening. Exciting huh? Thank goodness I got some good deals. I think almost everything I got was on sale, and I saved $16 with coupons so that was nice. Not to mention usually I go into Meijer and come out with spending $100 easily. Today I only spent $86 so that was a bonus! Now I know why I was dreading the grocery store trip!

Now, I'm off to bed because it's been a long day and I'm tired. I feel like I didn't really have an evening and probably won't have much of one tomorrow. We've got Evan's school fall social tomorrow evening (weather permitting) and I'm doing the single parent thing because Greg has to work late. But before I leave you, I wanted to share a new recipe I tried tonight that I thought was pretty good. The recipe actually calls for it to be cooked in a slow cooker for 5 hours, but I tried it in the oven instead and it seemed to come out fine.

Meatloaf with Mozzarella, Mushrooms, & Pepperoni

Ingredients:

2 slices white sandwich bread (I used 1/4 cup bread crumbs)
1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin
1 1/2 cups finely chopped button mushrooms ( I used a 4oz. can of mushrooms and chopped them)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/3 cup finely chopped pepperoni
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp. ketchup

Directions:
  1. Tear bread into large pieces and blend in a food processor until they form fine crumbs. (or use 1/4 cup of bread crumbs)
  2. Combine crumbs, sirloin, mushrooms, mozzarella, pepperoni, oregano, garlic, salt, and eggs in a large bowl and mix gently with your hands to combine.
  3. Put in a 9x5 bread pan.
  4. Brush meatloaf with ketchup.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until center is not pink. (or put in a slow cooker and cover and cook on low for about 5 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment