LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pizza Casserole

I made this recipe last week and I meant to post it then, but keep forgetting until now. (I've been a little busy readers.) So now that I'm off duty for library cart this week (Finally I get a break! Getting everything off and running and doing the library cart two weeks in a row with a two year old was kicking my butt.) I thought it was a good time to share it with all of you. This is a recipe that goes way back to when I was a kid. I'm talking like when I was probably seven or eight. My Grandma Stamp (my mom's mom) who passed away thirteen years ago, lived in Arizona and she and my Grandpa used to come visit us in Michigan every summer for a few weeks. Every time my Grandma would visit us, she would always make this recipe for my sister and I. It was one of our favorites and still is to this day. I've been making it for many years now myself and I've gotten my kids hooked on it too. They gobble it up! She also got my sister and I started on Tomato soup with macaroni in it. The first time I made it with Greg he thought I was weird. That's what my sister and I thought too when my Grandma would make it until we tried it! It's really good, you should try it. Guess what folks? I've gotten my kids hooked on that too! So back to the casserole, I'm not sure why it's called pizza casserole, because it's more like spaghetti, but probably because of the pepperoni and mushrooms in it. It's really easy to make and it's one of those great meals you can make ahead of time (even the night before) and then just pop in the oven a half hour before you're ready to eat!

Pizza Casserole

Ingredients:
1 package pepperoni (4oz.) (You can also use turkey pepperoni)
1 med. onion chopped fine (I usually don't use the onion because Greg doesn't like onions)
1/3 cup margarine (melted)
8 oz. thin spaghetti cooked
1 cup (4oz.) each of grated Swiss and mozzarella cheese (of course I don't measure the cheese)
2 cans (8oz. each) tomato sauce ( I use one 15oz. can)
1 (4oz.) can mushrooms
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Basil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  1. Boil pepperoni for 5 minutes to get rid of grease (drain in colander)- I do this while the spaghetti is boiling.
  2. If use onions saute for 5 minutes
  3. Toss spaghetti in margarine in 11x17 pan
  4. Cover spaghetti with 1 can (or half of 15oz. can) of tomato sauce.
  5. Add in half of the following ingredients- pepperoni, Swiss, mushrooms, and mozzarella, and sprinkle with all of the Oregano and Basil.
  6. Top with other can (or half can) of tomato sauce.
  7. Add remaining other half of ingredients, finishing with mozzarella on top.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yes pizza casserole is yummy and the best. Brings back so many memories of gma's great recipes. She sure had some good ones. I used to think some of the stuff gma & gpa ate were weird but tried and liked. Plus still eat til this day. miss u gma & gpa.

    ReplyDelete