LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Garage Sale News

This weekend was the big garage sale weekend. After preparing for it for more than a week I was definitely ready to get rid of all this stuff! I totally agree with my friend Ann, that garage sales are a lot of work! Especially when you have as much stuff as we did it! Gathering everything up that you want to get rid of, setting it up on tables, and pricing it takes a lot of time. Usually it takes more time than you think it's going to. I even had a lot of Evan's clothes from last year all ready priced and it still took a lot of time to set up. I'm a little anal when it comes to organizing for a garage sale too. I like to have things grouped together that go together. Girl's clothes, boy's clothes, toys, kitchen, books, etc. You get the idea. I even go as far as putting the baby clothes in order by size on the tables sizes and labeling the tables in sections by size. I did this last year and it seems to make the clothes sell a lot better. I just think of it as, if I were shopping for a certain size, I'd like to know right where to look instead of digging through a bunch of sizes that are of no good to me. A little extra work on my part is a little extra money in my pocket!

Below are a couple photos of all of our garage sale items. Let me warn you that it's quite a bit. A very packed garage and a very full driveway! All this stuff just waiting for a new home.


I'm a little embarrassed at how many clothes & shoes both my kids had from newborn to size 2T. Seriously, it's more than they probably needed and some even still had the tags on them! Here are two very full tables and tubs filled with Evan's clothes.

At least some of his stuff got double use since my friend Marie was able to use some of them at one time. Here are two more very full tables and tubs filled with Em's clothes.

Friday proved to be the best day for selling girl's clothes and Saturday seemed to be the best day for selling boy's clothes. While I didn't get rid of all the clothes, I'd say that was a good chunk of my sales! I did get a lot of compliments on my organization of the clothes and my labels on the tables so that was nice to hear. I guess my extra work paid off.

Greg had Friday off so he could watch the kids while I had the sale. The three of them even went out special to pick me up Jimmy John's for lunch. I just love Jimmy John's and it was sounding good since we hadn't been there for a long time. I love my husband for hauling two kids in and out to pick me up Jimmy John's. Of course he got some for himself too! Here's the three of them coming back with lunch!

Overall, the sale was a big success! Friday was much busier than Saturday, but both day the weather was perfect so I can't complain too much. I did get a little crispy from being in the sun for two days, but hey I made money for working on my tan!


Not many of the kitchen items sold. I thought that would be some of the first stuff to go, but nope. I guess if I don't need that kitchen stuff then nobody else does either. The baby bottles were a hit though. I'm thinking I had them marked to cheap! Oh well, they're gone. I did get rid of that little lamp and desk organizer which I was glad. I had kept those from last years sale.

Nobody was too into buying camera stuff or Christmas decorations. The toys weren't as big of a hit as I thought they were going to be either. I figured toys would be gone fast!

I did get rid of a few big items like the bouncy zebra in a previous picture and the pack n' play in this picture. As well as a printer and 13" TV. We even managed to sell our old grill in this picture. Remember the one that got busted in the storm a couple months ago. I put a sign on it that only one of the three burners worked and had $10 on it and somebody wanted it. Go figure! Greg told me to put free on it, but I didn't. Hey, $10 more in my pocket and we don't have to worry about hauling that big thing away!

While we did get rid of a lot, it appears we still have a lot left. After doing all this work, I'm thinking I should probably have another go at it before hauling some away. I'm participating in a mom2mom sale in July so I'll be taking some of the kid's clothes to that, but since they were a hit in the garage sale I might as well try selling some more. So I just need to figure out when to have it again. Sooner than later since everything is set up. I'll keep you posted. Also, a guy who owns a knockoff purse store in town offered me a deal to swap some baby items and clothes for his wife's second hand children's shop and he'd give me a credit for his store. So say I give him $50 worth of clothes and toys I can get $50 for his store. I see a new Coach purse in my future!

1 comment:

  1. It's so interesting that you said a lot of your kitchen stuff didn't sell - mine didn't either. Neither did my Christmas stuff. I was sure that those two categories would sell easily! I wish I had known you were selling a pack and play. I'd have stopped by on my way into GR this weekend and bought it from you! Bummer! Glad you had good weather and got rid if lots of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete