LIVE LAUGH LOVE DANCE

Monday, May 25, 2009

Tweet Tweet

I made a discovery this past week and it made me think that my blog has officially earned its name! I bought this hanging basket a few weeks ago, sort of a Mother's Day gift to myself. I've got it hanging on our front porch. Here it is below.


Pretty huh? Then early last week I noticed some birds hanging out by it off and on. So I pulled it down to water it and noticed there was a birds nest in it. There were no eggs though so I did what probably wasn't a good thing, I had Greg take the nest out. I figured since there were no eggs it would be o.k. and my plant really needed some water. So all is well and the plant is doing good. It has actually filled out some since I bought it. Yeah, my green thumb is working!

Then on Saturday, I pulled the plant down again to water and fertilize it. This is what I found.

Ugh! Dang birds built a new nest and quickly laid two eggs. Grrrr. So now that there were eggs in this nest I didn't have the heart to take it out. Now I'm no ornithologist so I don't know much about birds, but I did know that it was red finches that had been hanging around. So I decided I'd do a little homework and read about the red finch. I found out there are different types of red finch and I'm taking a guess that these are the House Finch. I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's a good guess. I also learned that all the eggs are not laid at the same time. So after reading that I figured more than likely there would be more to come. Then Sunday I pulled the basket down again (this is when the bird flew out and I screamed) and guess what I found?


Yes, that's right, another egg. Now three eggs total. Two of them look the same, but as you can see one is different. I'm not sure why this is. Along with my findings online about the finch I also learned that it takes 12-14 days for the eggs to hatch and about 12-14 days for the baby birds to leave the nest. So we're talking almost a month here. Ugh. My poor flowers are not going to make it. I decided today I'd check the basket one more time and then I'd leave it alone and hope that maybe the basket will get a little water from any rain we get and hope it makes it. So when I looked in, there were only two eggs. One had falled out overnight sometime and was smashed on the porch. Poor egg. I'm thinking now, that may be all that's going to be in there since there were no new eggs this morning, we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Now that I've discovered a real nest at our red house I'm thinking that my blog's name is truly fitting and it has earned it's name. Tweet tweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment